Bachelor of Mass Media - BMM
Media has perhaps played the most powerful role in history, politics, economics & society. It is not limited to being a tool of communication anymore. In our present day world, media - broadcast and print media in particular, are considered mainly to be entities that reflect the face of the society as it exists today.
Since it has a vital role to play, it is our fundamental responsibility as academicians to equip students with its various forms like print, radio, television, cinema, internet etc. It is with the same understanding that University of Mumbai introduced Bachelor of Mass Media (BMM) in 2000 - 2001. The course promotes the freedom of thought & expression.
We at HR, aspire to promote originality, creativity, commitment, dedication & passion in our media students. The HR BMM student will be educated in an in-depth study of media, its powers, responsibility & thus encouraged to excel so that students would understand the process of making every voice heard, every image seen & every opinion counted. We intend to conceive it by developing fundamental human skills of oral presentation, lucid writing skills, critical thinking, motivation & supporting social structure.
The course will commence at HR in 2011 - 2012 after the approval from University/Government.
The BMM Course:
- Uses basic principles of advertising, marketing, journalism to enable students to understand their surroundings.
- Integrates practical aspects of theory learned by industry interactions in form of guest lectures, summer internships, field visits, live projects etc.
- Develops communication, presentation skills, creativity thorough seminars & workshops.
- Continuously encourages faculty training & enhancement activities.
- Follows a student-centric approach, thereby empowering students.
Industry Linkages :
At HR, industry interaction forms an integral part of the course. Thus live industry projects, industrial visit and workshops are woven into the fabric of the course. The ultimate fruition of industry interaction is placements. The corporate world today is proactively looking at students as future leaders.
Some of the companies that have come on campus for recruitment over the year are :
- Yahoo! India
- J. Walter Thompson
- Rediffusion DYR
- Leo Burnett
ELIGIBILITY A candidate in order to be eligible for admission to the Degree course in Bachelor of Mass Media should have passed the XII Std. examination of the Maharshtra Board of Higher Secondary Education or equivalent from Arts, Science or Commerce stream. Selection of candidates is done as per the university guidelines.
An eligibility certificate from the college will be provided to the out station students.
SEMESTER - I (6 Papers)
- Effective Communication Skills -I
- Fundamentals of Mass Communication
- Introduction to Computers
- History of the World, India & Maharashtra
- Introduction to Sociology
- Introduction to Economics
SEMESTER - II(6 Papers)
- Effective Communication Skills - II
- Political Concepts and the Indian Political System
- Principles of Management & Marketing
- Translation Skills
- Introduction to Psychology
- An Introduction to Literature
- Introduction to Creative Writing
- Introduction to Culture Studies
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Introduction to Media Studies
- Understanding Cinema
- Advanced Computers
- Introduction to Advertising
- Introduction to Journalism
- Print Production and Photography
- Radio and Television
- Mass Media Research
- Organizational Behaviour
TY BMM (ADVERTISING)
- Advertising in Contemporary Society
- Advertising Design (100 Marks Practical)
- Consumer Behaviour
- Media Planning and Buying
- Brand Building
- Contemporary Issues
- Advertising and Marketing Research
- Legal Environment and Advertising Ethics
- Financial Management for Marketing and Advertising
- Agency Management
- The Principles and Practice of Direct Marketing
TY BMM (JOURNALISM)
- Feature and Opinion
- Journalism and Public Opinion
- Indian Regional Journalism
- Project (Newspaper making, Assignments, Magazine making)
- Press Law and Ethics
- Broadcast Journalism
- Niche Journalism I & II
- Internet and Issues in the Global Media
- News Media Management
- Contemporary Issues